Sunday, November 23, 2008

edible art


So it's almost Audrey's birthday, and we finally decided when to have her party. When asked a theme, she couldn't choose between princesses, barbie, strawberry shortcake, and tinkerbell. Her exact quote, "I, like, like them all, I don't know, I want all of them, It's like, too hard... you pick mom." So, being the loving, considerate mommy I am, I picked the one that had a birthday pack on sale at www.pinatas.com ... Viola, we are having an Barbie Island Princess birthday party. Now for the cake..... First of all, I looooveee making cakes, and decorating them, I just have to start several weeks in advance if I want it to turn out ok. For Bridger's birthday this year, he wanted a Bob the Builder birthday. I decided to try fondant for the first time because I had been wanting to for quite awhile....but... since I'm several hours from any Michael's store, didn't want to order it and pay that much, I learned how to make my own fondant (and learned what NOT to do when making my own fondant!). About 3 bags of marshmallows later and a counter-dyed-green, out came a pretty spiffy Bob cake. It was a hit, and tasted really good. NOW, however, my daughter is expecting nothing less than spectacular for her cake. I ordered an island princess barbie on-line (since we didn't have any on-hand just sitting around) and have decided to try a barbie cake on top of a sheet cake. With any luck it will look like the one I found on the internet below (including another cake of course. As Audrey so blatently pointed out "uh, mom, that isn't going to be enough cake for everyone.." (me)"I know honey, I will make another one underneath it." (audrey)"oh, ha ha, I was like... uh, that's not big enough!, ha ha" and she is only 4...) So, I will cross my fingers and prepare for the cake-batter, marshmallow, and powdered sugar tornado that is about to hit my kitchen!!! I'll post pictures of the finished cake (if it's a picture of a sheet cake on it purchased from the store, you'll know that I'm huddled in a corner at home in my kitchen covered with powdered sugar and pink and purple food coloring!)

No comments:

Post a Comment